The Board of Education encourages persons who have an interest in the operations of the schools to attend meetings of the Board.
At the outset of the action meetings, individuals who wish to address the Board may do so under the part that part of the agenda entitled “Public Participation.”
The Board does not debate the contents of Public Participation, but considers them in making decisions and in the establishment of policies.
At each regular and special open meeting, following the Pledge of Allegiance, the President of the Board will recognize members of the public and district employees who wish to address the Board.
Per Board Policy 2:230, individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
1. Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
2. Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, such comments shall be limited to 5 minutes. In unusual circumstances, and when the person has given advance notice of the need to speak for a longer period of time, such person may be allowed to speak for more than 5 minutes.
3. Observe the Board President’s decision to shorten public comment to conserve time and give the maximum number of individuals an opportunity to speak.
4. Observe the Board President’s decision to determine pro-cedural matters regarding public participation not other-wise defined in Board of Education Policy.
5. Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others.